Thursday, October 22, 2009

I seriously dislike skin tones!!!!


Snapshot of Tyler this morning.

My goodness, I get so irritated editing skin tones, once I get one cast removed, then the hair looks bad...I finally gave up on this one. I'm about ready to turn it black and white. This is a sad confession but I'm sure more than half of my photos rarely get edited cuz I get so frustrated with skin tones. While I've been brushing up on selective color adjustment layers, I'm having a hard time getting the hang of it.

The lighting in this room at this time of day is less than stellar, I dragged out the flash. I bounced off the window...not sure at the time why I bounced off the window (my intent was to bounce off another wall) but here's the result. Settings...f2.8, 1/250, iso 200 and flash was on manual (1/4, I didn't meter either).

I could use some cc on the skin tones and editing. I'm at a loss! First photo is sooc, and a sharpen for web.

After stepping away and looking at my edited version, I see green and yellow,and I think I added to much saturation back. When I pull those colors back, I end up with too much magenta or too washed out looking.

9 comments:

Bobbi said...

Sorry about your frustrations, do you cwb? Either way he is a cutie and that is a great picture!!

Yolanda said...

I can't help you with the skin tones-- that's my struggle too. But I do love the picture and his great smile!

Nicki said...

Adorable shot, great catch lights, and you are getting closer with your edit - just a tad more with removing the yellow/green and you are there. I admire everyone's work with skin-tones, maybe one of these days I'll have consistent subjects and endure this struggle as well.

pat said...

This is part of the reason I don't "do" people...it's hard enough to shoot them, let along worry about whether or not their skin is the right color. I feel like a taxidermist! Your son is adorable, whether or not the yellow and green tones are in his skin.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Skin tones are a pia. I think he is a cutie.

Jess said...

I'm no help... I gave up on the whole "perfect skin tones" thing ages ago- too frustrating for me! Now I just eyeball it, and if it looks good enough to me, I leave it be. LOL. He is a cutie!

Suzy said...

I feel the same about skin tones. When you figure out the magic trick please do let me know?? Seriously! But he's sure cute!

Cindi Koceich said...

I hear you! It is always something I'm striving to do better on too!

Shanna said...

I think it's just one notch too warm. Take it into LR and "cool" it down a bit. HTH!

COPYRIGHT